Sustainability and Responsible Business Practices
Responsible Jewellery Council (RJC) policy
Mastoloni Pearls is a member of the Responsible Jewellery Council (RJC).
The RJC is a standards-setting organisation established to advance responsible ethical, human rights, social and environmental practices throughout the gold, silver, platinum group metals, diamond and coloured gemstone jewellery supply chain.
The RJC has developed a benchmark standard for the jewellery supply chain and credible mechanisms for verifying responsible business practices through third-party auditing.
As an RJC member we commit to operating our business in accordance with the RJC Code of Practices Standard. We commit to integrating ethical, human rights, social and environmental considerations into our day-to-day operations, business planning activities and decision-making processes.
Human and Labour Rights
We are committed to respecting all human rights in our own operations and business relationships in accordance with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights and relevant conventions of the International Labour Organization (ILO). Our human rights policy covers the following key commitments:
- All forms of violence and harassment in the workplace are prohibited, including but not limited to corporal punishment; harsh or degrading treatment; sexual or physical harassment; mental, physical, verbal or sexual abuse; retaliation; coercion; and intimidation. Both direct and indirect harassment in any form is not acceptable in workplace facilities. We commit to ensuring that our employees are not subjected to harassment or violence, or threatened with these towards themselves, their family or colleagues.
- To never engage in or knowingly support child labour (including the worst forms of child labour) as defined by International Labour Organisation (ILO) conventions 138 and 182;
- To never engage in or knowingly support forced labour as defined by International Labour Organisation (ILO) convention 29, including bonded labour, deceptive recruitment, human trafficking and indentured or involuntary prison labour.
- To provide a safe and healthy working environment for all employees;
- To treat employees with dignity and respect, which includes:
- Ensuring fair and transparent discipline and grievance procedures.
- Recognising and respecting the right of all employees to associate freely and enter into collective bargaining.
- To provide all employees with fair terms of employment and legally mandated benefits.
- To prohibit all forms of discrimination, including but not limited to discrimination based on race, colour, ethnicity, caste, national origin, religion, disability or genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, union membership, political affiliation, marital status, parental or pregnancy status, physical appearance, HIV status, age or any other personal characteristic unrelated to the inherent requirements of the work.
- To promote human rights in our dealings with business partners and other relevant stakeholders.
- Mastoloni Pearls expects all of its employees, suppliers and sub-contractors to take steps to ensure that this policy is adhered to.